Singapore’s Global Investor Programme (GIP) grants permanent residence status to eligible investors who drive growth in the country’s economy. The GIP is aimed at high net-worth individuals and encourages successful businesspeople and entrepreneurs to invest in new or existing business ventures, a GIP-approved fund, or a new or existing Singapore-based family office.
Singapore remains one of the world’s strongest economies and is a global hub for business and innovation. It is also one of the world’s most connected countries, strategically located along the world’s major trade, shipping, and aviation routes.
Singapore’s excellent standard of living has encouraged many individuals to relocate through the GIP. Frequently voted the best Asian country in which to live, Singapore has emerged as a world-class destination with excellent infrastructure, public services, and one of the most harmonious multicultural communities in the world. It also boasts one of the world’s lowest crime rates, a high level of political stability, and is rated as one of the wealthiest countries in terms of GDP per capita.
Residents above 21 years old can also apply for citizenship after two years of permanent residence in Singapore. However, Singapore is a strictly single citizenship country, meaning that applicants must relinquish any existing citizenship elsewhere before naturalisation is possible.
Benefits of Singapore Residency
Those that have permanent residency in Singapore can benefit from a number of key advantages, including:
- Right to live, work, study, and undertake business in Singapore
- Access to excellent infrastructure, education and healthcare
- Political stability and low crime rates
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/customer/www/csglobalpartners.com/public_html/wp-content/themes/csglobal/parts/solutions/accordion/content_list.php on line 3
Applicants are eligible to apply for permanent residence under the GIP if they meet the qualifying criteria, including having a substantial business track record and a successful entrepreneurial background.
Each Singapore GIP investment option has a specific application process and a particular set of requirements that must be fulfilled. Applicants can choose one of the following investment options:
INVESTMENT IN A BUSINESS ENTITY
Applicants can invest a minimum of SGD 2.5 million in a new business entity or expansion of an existing business operation.
APPROVED GOVERNMENT FUND
Applicants can invest a minimum of SGD 2.5 million in a GIP-approved fund that invests in Singapore-based companies.
SINGAPORE-BASED SINGLE FAMILY OFFICE
Applicants can invest a minimum of SGD 2.5 million in a new or existing Singapore-based single family office having Assets Under-Management of at least SGD 200 million.
A Singapore permanent resident above 21 years old with at least two years of permanent residence may apply for Singapore citizenship. Each application made is considered according to the prevailing policies based on the merits of the case.
If successful, naturalised citizens can apply for a Singapore passport.
Singapore is a strictly single-citizenship country, meaning that applicants must relinquish any existing citizenship elsewhere before naturalisation is possible.
- Step 1: Upon approval of the application, the investor is issued Approval-in-Principle status, valid for six months.
- Step 2: Upon the making of the chosen investment and submission of evidence thereof, the investor is issued the Final Approval letter.
- Step 3: Within 12 months from the date of the Final Approval letter, the investor must formalise his or her permanent residence status.
- Step 4: Upon formalisation of permanent residence status, the investor receives a Re-Entry Permit that allows the investor to travel in and out of Singapore without affecting his or her permanent residence status. Valid for an initial five years, the Re-Entry Permit can be renewed for either three or five years, subject to the investor meeting the Re-Entry Permit renewal conditions by the third or fifth year of permanent residence status.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the investment options under the Singapore Residency by Investment Programme?
- Investment in a Business Entity
- Approved Government Fund
- Investment in a Singapore-based Single Family Office
What are the applicant eligibility requirements?
The investor must fit one of four profiles:
- Established business owners – with at least three years of entrepreneurial and business track record; running a company with an annual turnover of at least SGD 200 million in the past year and at least SGD 200 million per year on average for the past three years; with at least 30% shareholding in the company if privately-held; and the company must operate within an approved list of industries.
- Next generation business owners – whose immediate family has at least 30% shareholding or is the largest shareholder in the company; the company’s annual turnover is at least SGD 500 million in the past year and at least SGD 500 million per year on average for the past 3 years; investor is part of the management team of the company; and the company must operate within an approved list of industries.
- Founders of fast growth companies – a founder and one of the largest individual shareholders of a company with a valuation of at least SGD 500 million; the company must be invested into by reputable venture capital or private equity firms; and the company must operate within an approved list of industries.
- Family office principals – with at least five years of entrepreneurial, investment, or management track record and with net investible assets of at least SGD 200 million.
Note that family office principals are only eligible to choose the ‘investment in a Singapore-based single family office’ option.
Which family members can I include in my application for residency?
The following family members may be included in the application for permanent residence:
- Children of the investor if aged under 21 and unmarried
Note: Male children who obtain permanent residence status are liable for National Service
The following family members are not eligible to be included in the application, but may instead apply for a five-year Long Term Visit Pass (whose validity is dependent on the investor’s Re-Entry Permit):
- Unmarried children of the investor aged 21 or above
- Parents of the investor
Is there a residency requirement?
Yes. Applicants who wish to renew permanent residence status must have resided in Singapore for more than half of the time from obtaining permanent residence status to renewal.
How long does it take to process a residency by investment application?
Applications take approximately 9-12 months to be processed. This is subject to complete submission of all required supporting documents at the point of application. Applications will also be subject to due diligence checks.
Are citizens of certain countries not allowed to apply?
Singapore does not explicitly restrict citizens of any countries or territories.
What is the duration of the residence permit?
The permit is valid for an initial five years; the Re-Entry Permit must be renewed for either three or five years, subject to the investor fulfilling certain conditions.
Is this programme for me?
The Singapore GIP eases the way for global professionals to set up and operate businesses in Singapore.
The following persons may be a good fit for the Programme:
- Investors interested in starting up a business in Singapore
- Individuals interested in investing in Singapore
- Founders of fast growth companies
- Next generation business owners
Warning: call_user_func_array() expects parameter 1 to be a valid callback, no array or string given in /home/customer/www/csglobalpartners.com/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php on line 308